Arecibo, Puerto Rico – Pueblos de Puerto Rico
|Nickname: “La Villa del Capitán Correa”, “Muy Leal”, “Ciudad del Cetí”, “Diamante del Norte”, “Los Capitanes”
Arecibo (ah-re-SEE-boh), settled in 1556, is a municipality in the northern midwest coast of Puerto Rico and located by the Atlantic Ocean, north of Utuado and Ciales; east of Hatillo; and west of Barceloneta, and Florida. Arecibo is spread over 18 wards and Arecibo Pueblo (The downtown area and the administrative center of the city). Arecibo is located on the north coast of the island of Puerto Rico, about 80 kilometres (50 miles) west of San Juan, or approximately a 1-hour trip by car.
This was the last lighthouse built by the Spanish government in 1898. The style of construction is neo-classical with a rectangular shape of 40’4″ (12.30 mts) wide by 84’2″ (25.64 mts) long, and has attached a hexagonal tower covered by a bronze dome with a working lantern. The original lens was a third order Fresnel, with an 18 mile radius. At the present time it has a 190mm lens with a white flash every 5 seconds
|The Arecibo Observatory and Radio Telecopse:
The Arecibo Observatory is part of the National Astronomy and Ionosphere Center (NAIC), a national research center operated by Cornell University under a cooperative agreement with the National Science Foundation (NSF).
|On Line Guides and Websites of Interest for Arecibo, Puerto Rico|
|Arecibo Web – Information and links about Arecibo, Puerto Rico en Español|
|Arecibo’s BSN Basketball Team: Capitanes de Aricebo|
|University of Puerto Rico, Arecibo campus|